HUNDREDS of supporters turned up to Triple A’s 25th Anniversary open day on Sunday.
The animal sanctuary had been under fire after allegations of dog trafficking and animal cruelty led to the arrests of four of its staff.
Secretary Jan Weima was astonished by how many came to show their support, adding that the accusations were baseless.
He said: “The accusations are unfair and we ask people not to judge us before anything is resolved. This has been an injustice, revenge for some hatred and it cannot end like this.”
A statement and video released by the Guardia Civil that morning had also purported to show a freezer containing animals that had been killed illegally.
But Triple A maintained none of the animals shown had been killed illegally, and only five of the animals had died on the premises
It said: “Triple A has a freezer in its facilities where the dead animals are deposited by Marbella Town Hall sanidad services.
“Therefore the images shown do not correspond to dead or slaughtered animals on the premises.
Of those shown in these images, among which are a goat and a seagull, only four dogs and a cat died in the facilities since February 26, the day of the previous collection by authorised company in charge of transporting animal carcasses and subsequent incineration.
“Of those five animals only one, a puppy born with a malformation that prevented him from breathing, had to be put down. This was carried out by a veterinarian after extensive several diagnostic tests, including X-rays.”
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27