THE World Press Freedom index has listed Spain above the UK.
Out of 180 countries, Spain was ranked 34th and the UK 38th.
This is despite the fact that Spain remains behind the UK in freedom of information legislation.
In 2014 a new ‘transparency law’ took effect that does not treat access to information as a fundamental right.
It has already seen journalists fined for photographing police or residents accosted for criticising them on twitter.
The index also noted that journalism in the country has suffered since the recession, with 354 media outlets closing and more than 11,000 journalists losing their job.
The UK has dropped four places due to the government’s national security legislation.
The index cited the 2006 Terrorism Act, which they say restricts freedom of expression, while the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, they say, allows authorities to obtain phone records of journalists in case of threats to national security.
First on the list was Finland followed by the Netherlands and Norway, while the bottom three featured Turkmenistan, North Korea and Eritrea.
See the full list here: http://rsf.org/en/ranking
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37