THE World Press Freedom index has listed Spain above the UK.
Out of 180 countries, Spain was ranked 34th and the UK 38th.
This is despite the fact that Spain remains behind the UK in freedom of information legislation.
In 2014 a new ‘transparency law’ took effect that does not treat access to information as a fundamental right.
It has already seen journalists fined for photographing police or residents accosted for criticising them on twitter.
The index also noted that journalism in the country has suffered since the recession, with 354 media outlets closing and more than 11,000 journalists losing their job.
The UK has dropped four places due to the government’s national security legislation.
The index cited the 2006 Terrorism Act, which they say restricts freedom of expression, while the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, they say, allows authorities to obtain phone records of journalists in case of threats to national security.
First on the list was Finland followed by the Netherlands and Norway, while the bottom three featured Turkmenistan, North Korea and Eritrea.
See the full list here: http://rsf.org/en/ranking
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25