JOSE Maria Olazabal believes it is ‘crucial’ that golf is back at the Olympics in Rio this summer.
The ex-Ryder Cup captain was joined at La Reserva Golf Club by Sergio Garcia, Olympics captain Manuel Pinero and European Tour president of international relations George O’Grady.
With golf back at the Olympics for the first time since 1904, the players spoke of their ‘pride’ at representing Spain.
“To be in the Olympics is crucial for golf,” said Olazabal.
“In 15 or 20 years time we will reap the rewards because golf will come to countries we had never imagined.”
Garcia, whose Sergio Garcia Foundation hosted this month’s Open de Espana, said he ‘couldn’t be more proud to be an Olympic athlete’.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00