THE Guardia Civil will carry out 25,000 alcohol and drug tests on Spain’s roads this week.
The extensive checks are part of a campaign with the European traffic police network TIPSOL, which will ramp up checks across the continent.
The goal is to catch habitual drink or drug drivers who regularly travel under the influence.
Almost 100,000 drivers in Spain have been detected committing the offence this year already.
It was only a month ago that notorious expat Westley Capper mowed down and killed a Bolivian mother while under the influence in San Pedro.
While Spain has considerably lower maximum limits than the UK and its European counterparts, the smallest amount of alcohol and drugs can affect driving ability.
Out of the thousands killed in road accidents each year, 40% display the presence of alcohol or drugs in their system, according to the National Institute of Toxicology.
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29