IT’S hard to imagine Benalmadena as nothing other than the buzzing holiday hotspot it is today, but this now Costa del Sol mainstay was once a poor modest fishing village accessible only by dirt roads and nestled on a sprawling countryside emblematic of the Scottish Highlands. The town was transformed in the 1950’s when it became among the first to be developed into a resort for UK and European jet-setters who could afford a break away from the likes of smoggy London and Berlin.
But since the tourism boom throughout the 70’s and 80’s and the package holiday phenomenon of the 90’s, hotels, restaurants and beach clubs have sprung up here at break neck speed – and it’s hardly surprising.
Resting just west of Malaga, a short drive from the airport brings you to 7km of gorgeous sandy beaches packed with a multitude of restaurants and bars along its newly improved promenade.
But there are still remnants of the old Spanish village, as you meander up the cobbled streets into the hillside and find pueblos laden with traditional Spanish architecture and culture. From churches to historic look-out towers, it’s comforting to see the remnants of these now tourist hotspots still exist beyond just black and white photos.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20