IT’S hard to imagine Benalmadena as nothing other than the buzzing holiday hotspot it is today, but this now Costa del Sol mainstay was once a poor modest fishing village accessible only by dirt roads and nestled on a sprawling countryside emblematic of the Scottish Highlands. The town was transformed in the 1950’s when it became among the first to be developed into a resort for UK and European jet-setters who could afford a break away from the likes of smoggy London and Berlin.
But since the tourism boom throughout the 70’s and 80’s and the package holiday phenomenon of the 90’s, hotels, restaurants and beach clubs have sprung up here at break neck speed – and it’s hardly surprising.
Resting just west of Malaga, a short drive from the airport brings you to 7km of gorgeous sandy beaches packed with a multitude of restaurants and bars along its newly improved promenade.
But there are still remnants of the old Spanish village, as you meander up the cobbled streets into the hillside and find pueblos laden with traditional Spanish architecture and culture. From churches to historic look-out towers, it’s comforting to see the remnants of these now tourist hotspots still exist beyond just black and white photos.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19