IT’S hard to imagine Benalmadena as nothing other than the buzzing holiday hotspot it is today, but this now Costa del Sol mainstay was once a poor modest fishing village accessible only by dirt roads and nestled on a sprawling countryside emblematic of the Scottish Highlands. The town was transformed in the 1950’s when it became among the first to be developed into a resort for UK and European jet-setters who could afford a break away from the likes of smoggy London and Berlin.
But since the tourism boom throughout the 70’s and 80’s and the package holiday phenomenon of the 90’s, hotels, restaurants and beach clubs have sprung up here at break neck speed – and it’s hardly surprising.
Resting just west of Malaga, a short drive from the airport brings you to 7km of gorgeous sandy beaches packed with a multitude of restaurants and bars along its newly improved promenade.
But there are still remnants of the old Spanish village, as you meander up the cobbled streets into the hillside and find pueblos laden with traditional Spanish architecture and culture. From churches to historic look-out towers, it’s comforting to see the remnants of these now tourist hotspots still exist beyond just black and white photos.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33