SPAIN’S Marcel Granollers staged a sit-down protest during an ill-tempered doubles defeat at Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old Spaniard and his Uruguayan doubles partner Pablo Cuevas were looking for a place in the quarter finals, playing against Britain’s Jonathan Marray and his Canadian partner Adil Shamasdin.
But they soon lost their cool after some questionable line calls were followed by the French umpire, Aurelie Tourte, refusing to allow Cuevas a toilet break during the final set.
Tourte alleges Cuevas then threatened to pee into an empty ball can under the cover of a towel, earning the pair a code violation.
Royally peed off, the Uruguayan smashed the ball out of court, earning a second code violation and triggering a points penalty in the business end of the deciding set.
The penalty left Marray and Shamasdin with triple match-point.
Granollers and Cuevas then refused to carry on playing, staging a 15-minute sit-in protest on court. They agreed to continue when threatened with forfeiture, but soon lost the match 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 3-6, 14-12.
They may now face fines for their behaviour.
“I don’t think it’s ever nice to see,” said Marray afterwards, “You have to respect the officials regardless of whatever happened in the match.”
Shamasdin admitted that umpire Tourte could have handled the situation better.
“I don’t think the chair umpire really had the match controlled,” he said, “she made a few mistakes early on at both ends. We were all on her and she was definitely flustered. I don’t think she handled it correctly.”
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43