THE Costa de la Luz is literally crammed with hip places to stay from beachside gems to inland cortijos and from grand townhouses to campsites.
In Vejer you would be hard pressed to beat the seminal Casa de Califa, in the town’s loveliest square, surrounded by its best restaurants.
The Moorish building sits around a charming central patio, where guests take breakfast and dine under candlelight each evening.
Historic in the extreme, the building, and its sister Las Palmeras de Califa, which has its own amazing pool, oozes history and has been extremely well renovated.
If beach life is more your thing, then try Madreselva, in Canos de Meca, which is just a stone’s throw from the beach and near Trafalgar lighthouse.
Set around a central courtyard and with a decent pool for the kids to splash in, Madreselva caters for families and hip surfers alike.
In Tarifa, the best established hotel is the Hurricane, which is now nearly three decades old and run by the coast’s long-serving expats, brothers James and Peter Whalley, who also own the more luxurious Punta Sur across the road.
Both hotels have their own restaurants and both serve up a great range of activities on the beach and in the hotel, including pilates and yoga classes every day, plus a brand new spa.
Also in Tarifa is the stunning Meson de Sancho which caters from couples and families alike.
With 40 rooms including two-person and family bungalows, Meson de Sancho also boasts relaxing gardens, an outdoor swimming pool and a gymnasium to boot.
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48
- DON’T LEAF US THIS WAY: Brexit striking fear into hearts of ‘terrified’ farmers in Spain’s Andalucia - 9 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00