THE Costa de la Luz is literally crammed with hip places to stay from beachside gems to inland cortijos and from grand townhouses to campsites.
In Vejer you would be hard pressed to beat the seminal Casa de Califa, in the town’s loveliest square, surrounded by its best restaurants.
The Moorish building sits around a charming central patio, where guests take breakfast and dine under candlelight each evening.
Historic in the extreme, the building, and its sister Las Palmeras de Califa, which has its own amazing pool, oozes history and has been extremely well renovated.
If beach life is more your thing, then try Madreselva, in Canos de Meca, which is just a stone’s throw from the beach and near Trafalgar lighthouse.
Set around a central courtyard and with a decent pool for the kids to splash in, Madreselva caters for families and hip surfers alike.
In Tarifa, the best established hotel is the Hurricane, which is now nearly three decades old and run by the coast’s long-serving expats, brothers James and Peter Whalley, who also own the more luxurious Punta Sur across the road.
Both hotels have their own restaurants and both serve up a great range of activities on the beach and in the hotel, including pilates and yoga classes every day, plus a brand new spa.
Also in Tarifa is the stunning Meson de Sancho which caters from couples and families alike.
With 40 rooms including two-person and family bungalows, Meson de Sancho also boasts relaxing gardens, an outdoor swimming pool and a gymnasium to boot.
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40
- 5 Ideas of Having Fun in Internet - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 09:23