A WELSH teenager has died during a 560-mile pilgrimage in Spain.
Michael Cura, 16, from Swansea, was coming to the end of a cycling pilgrimage with school friends when he collapsed and died.
Travelling 50-60 miles a day, some 21 pupils and eight members of staff had been heading for Santiago de Compostela in north-west Spain via the centuries-old pilgrims route the Camino de Santiago.
The cause of death is not yet known but Michael, an altar boy at the Sacred Heart church in Swansea, was not involved in an accident.
His school says it is devastated by the news.
Fr Jason Jones said: “The parish community of the Sacred Heart at Morriston are deeply saddened and shocked by the sudden death of Michael.
“The family and friends of Michael attended a special mass this morning before jetting off from Heathrow.
“He was a fun-loving, caring and committed altar boy and a helper for the disabled youth. A caring, greatly loved and popular young man who will be very missed.
“It is a very emotional time for the family and for the whole community.”
The pupils and staff will return without finishing the trip while Michael’s parents are being flown out to Spain, a Swansea council spokesperson said.
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26