By Amrik Sappal, Store Director, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola
AS the summer is in full swing, temperatures rise and people hit the beach, we see more and more people coming into the store with sore eyes. Here’s how to protect your eyes this summer.
Q – Can the sun damage my eyes?
A – Yes, I am afraid it can, exposure to UV rays causes a painful irritation to the cornea at the front of the eye. In extreme circumstances this can lead to cancer of the cornea, age related macular degeneration, cataracts and even blindness. Please note that children’s eyes are particularly sensitive, so it’s vital to protect them. You can protect the family’s eyes by wearing large or wraparound sunglasses which are marked UV 400 and a hat for total protection.
Q – I am really suffering from hayfever, how can I stop my eyes watering and being sore?
A – Hayfever can irritate the eyes and make them water or feel dry and itchy. There are many hayfever remedies available which help reduce the symptoms, including issues with your eyes. If you find your usual brand has stopped working, try a few different ones as every year can be different. If your eyes are reacting quite badly you could also try an antihistamine eye drop, but unfortunately you cannot use these with contact lenses.
Q – What should I do if I get something in my eye?
A- It is easy for sand or small objects to get into your eye when you’re swimming and spending time on the beach and it’s important to follow the right advice if this happens. Try not to rub your eyes or rinse eyes with running water, as this could scratch the cornea and cause infection. If you are in pain, go to your nearest opticians who will try to locate and remove the object or refer you for treatment.
All Specsavers’ sunglasses offer the maximum UV protection and we have a great new range for summer 2016. Eye tests are currently free and we are offering 2 for 1 including sunglasses for the special price of 59€, until the 4th of September. There are Specsavers stores in Marbella and Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol, to make an appointment or find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es.
- Specsavers Opticas have everything you need to stay safe in the sun and some super cool shades - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- Eyewear by luxury fashion house Kenzo at Specsavers Opticas on Costa del Sol for limited time only - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 12:00
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15