IT is by far the most exciting way to arrive in Sotogrande.
But you are likely to get wet so don’t bring your gladrags.
One of the best family adventures on the Costa del Sol, you can rent a kayak and paddle the whole way down the Guadiaro river from El Secadero, which is actually in Casares, to the mouth of the river at Sotogrande port.
Taking a couple of hours, you will see a huge range of birds and feel like you are in total wilderness for much of it.
There are even a few rapids to get the heart racing.
Organised by Andalucia Activities, kayaks come in three sizes and can comfortably take three people in the larger ones.
I joined a group descent, with around 100 people in dozens of canoes, arriving early and getting kitted out properly, with a proper safety drill before heading off.
But you can also get a special day out for groups or individuals organised by Andalucia Activities.
And as well as offering kayaking, the company also offers walking expeditions as well as paddle board lessons and wakeboarding.
• For more information visit www.andaluciaactivities.com
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48