A MAJOR cannabis-smuggling ring that used stolen British cars to transport drugs from Spain to the UK has been smashed.
Among those arrested in the joint operation between Spanish and UK police are 12 Brits, nine Spaniards and a German.
Largely based on the Costa del Sol and the Costa Blanca, the gang would load up the stolen vehicles in Spain before driving through France and on to the UK via the Channel Tunnel.
Cars stolen in the south of Spain would be taken to Barcelona to ‘cool off’ for a few months before being used in drug runs.
Each car would transport around 100 kilos of cannabis concealed in specially-adapted secret compartments.
In total, around 300 kilos of cannabis has been impounded plus some €240,000 in cash.
Some cars not used for smuggling were sold on in other countries, including Portugal and Italy, police investigators said.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36