MALAGA invested almost €10 million into museums last year, it has been revealed.
The arrival of two prominent institutions – the Centre Pompidou Malaga and the Collection of the Russian Museum St.Petersburg/Malaga – is part of a drive by the council to transform the city into a global centre for the arts.
Mayor Francisco de la Torre has said the two new additions won’t be the last, promising further transformations.
“We have big plans for the city and there’s more coming to the work we’ve already done,” he said.
The Pompidou alone, which houses works such as Francis Bacon, Frida Kahlo and Marc Chagall, brought around 220,000 visitors in its first year and cost €7 million.
The Russian Museum will stay for ten years, with an option to extend, and set the council back €2 million.
Situated in the same tobacco factory complex as the Automobile Museum and spanning two floors and about 43,000 square feet, it houses 18th-century to modern-day works by prolific artists who are Russian or who have worked in Russia, such as the 19th-century landscape painter Ivan Shishkin and the 20th-century painter Vladimir Gavrilov.
Virginia Irurita, founder of travel company Made for Spain and Portugal said: “Malaga is where you went for a cheap beach holiday. People couldn’t care less about the city itself, but it’s become the place now where all the Spanish want to come and stay to see the museums.”
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40