TWO former mayors are finally being hauled before the courts over the next month.
Former Casares mayor Juan Sanchez is facing 18 years in prison and a €2.5 million fine for his role in the infamous Majestic property scandal.
Sanchez will be tried on October 24 over allegations that he took millions in bribes from Russian mafia boss Ricardo Fanchini and cohorts Robert Gaspar and Robert Mani in return for building licences.
Meanwhile, disgraced ex-Gaucin mayor Francisco Corbacho will appear at Malaga’s Penal Court Number 4 on September 20, although Gaucin Town Hall refused to confirm the charges.
In 2008, Corbacho was fined €2,700 and banned from office for seven years after syphoning off €200,000 of town hall funds.
One concerned expat Ron Shotton told the Olive Press his neighbour, Brenda Richardson, had been called as a witness for next week’s trial, but was unable to attend due to her husband’s ill health.
“It is amazing that this is all being kept so much in the dark,” he added.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00