BRUSSELS has warned Spain it could be refused financial support if it fails to get its budget deficit under control.
The European Commission will re-rule on whether or not to freeze funds for the country after consulting with the European Parliament later this month or in early October.
President Jean Claude Juncker is said to be in favour sanctions on Spain – the first of their kind – if its government fails to take effective measures to reduce the deficit in the second half of 2016 and in their draft budgets for 2017.
Spain has so far dodged fines after the deadline to meet their deficit target was extended by two years in 2012 and again in 2014.
The fine could cost Spain up to €2 billion and could see €1.3 billion worth of financial support frozen.
Commissioner of Economic Affairs Pierre Moscovici has said punishing Spain would be a mistake and could cause a backlash against the eurozone project, which is already on shaky ground following Brexit and the rise of far right and eurosceptic parties in Europe.
He warns of a ‘loss of support for the European project’ and reminded the Commission of the ‘exceptional efforts’ of Madrid during the last years of crisis in reducing public deficit and implementing structural measures.
He also said the punishment would bring a ‘risk of causing unnecessary divisions’ among European countries.
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43