BRUSSELS has warned Spain it could be refused financial support if it fails to get its budget deficit under control.
The European Commission will re-rule on whether or not to freeze funds for the country after consulting with the European Parliament later this month or in early October.
President Jean Claude Juncker is said to be in favour sanctions on Spain – the first of their kind – if its government fails to take effective measures to reduce the deficit in the second half of 2016 and in their draft budgets for 2017.
Spain has so far dodged fines after the deadline to meet their deficit target was extended by two years in 2012 and again in 2014.
The fine could cost Spain up to €2 billion and could see €1.3 billion worth of financial support frozen.
Commissioner of Economic Affairs Pierre Moscovici has said punishing Spain would be a mistake and could cause a backlash against the eurozone project, which is already on shaky ground following Brexit and the rise of far right and eurosceptic parties in Europe.
He warns of a ‘loss of support for the European project’ and reminded the Commission of the ‘exceptional efforts’ of Madrid during the last years of crisis in reducing public deficit and implementing structural measures.
He also said the punishment would bring a ‘risk of causing unnecessary divisions’ among European countries.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40