WILD bears in Spain are suffering from malnutrition after a very dry summer and poor fruit harvest.
Images captured in the Cantabrian mountains showed some bears were extremely thin and showing symptoms of cachexia, a wasting disease.
FAPAS – the Fund for the Protection of Wild Animals – said they are ‘extremely concerned’ by their condition.
“Climatic conditions has caused complications for the bears this year, altering the natural life cycles that are so important to the survival of the bears,” said a statement from FAPAS.
“A very dry summer has led to a poor and late harvest in fruits such as cherries and wild berries, which the bears rely on.”
The naturally shy creatures have now been forced to leave their isolated valleys where they usually thrive to forage in human-populated areas.
FAPAS said it is why there have been more reports of damaged bee hives, because the hungry bears are seeking out honey.
If they are not sufficiently fattened up before winter, when they hibernate, they may not survive.
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52