WILD bears in Spain are suffering from malnutrition after a very dry summer and poor fruit harvest.
Images captured in the Cantabrian mountains showed some bears were extremely thin and showing symptoms of cachexia, a wasting disease.
FAPAS – the Fund for the Protection of Wild Animals – said they are ‘extremely concerned’ by their condition.
“Climatic conditions has caused complications for the bears this year, altering the natural life cycles that are so important to the survival of the bears,” said a statement from FAPAS.
“A very dry summer has led to a poor and late harvest in fruits such as cherries and wild berries, which the bears rely on.”
The naturally shy creatures have now been forced to leave their isolated valleys where they usually thrive to forage in human-populated areas.
FAPAS said it is why there have been more reports of damaged bee hives, because the hungry bears are seeking out honey.
If they are not sufficiently fattened up before winter, when they hibernate, they may not survive.
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10