A BRITISH family’s holiday to Spain turned into a nightmare when their 11-month-old daughter was rushed to hospital with hand, foot and mouth disease.
Lily Connor and her father Lee Connor, 27, have undergone treatment in Menorca following an outbreak of the disease at the four-star Family Life Mar de Menorca resort.
The disease sees victims break out in sores and is passed on through direct contact with unwashed hands or surfaces contaminated with faeces.
The family, from Solihull in Birmingham, had flown to the island last month to enjoy their last possible break ahead of mother Emma’s due date.
Emma, 27, who was 11 weeks pregnant with their second child, said the staff ‘downplayed’ the outbreak after husband Lee expressed concerns about his baby and pregnant wife staying in the hotel.
Mum Emma said within two days of arriving on September 14, the hotel had put signs up warning of the outbreak, but made no efforts to move people to other hotels despite many becoming infected.
Baby Lily was so ill by the fourth day that doctors referred her to a hospital where she was treated for eight hours.
Mrs Connor said: “It was our last holiday before we have our new child.
“The first few days Lily was fine and then the second day we were there we were told Thomson put the notice up.
“My other half asked if it would be a problem because of me being pregnant and having a baby with us.
“They said it was fine.
“We expected them to move us elsewhere under the circumstances.
“By day four she was really not herself, she had a high temperature was falling asleep where ever she was and wouldn’t eat or drink, it was terrifying.
“We took her to the doctors on site and they sent her straight to the hospital.
“They thought it was because she fell over the day before but I knew it wasn’t, you can tell when your child really isn’t well.”
She added: “We were then in a room for eight hours, in the end I made the decision to discharge her.
“I decided that if we discharged her we could look after her in the hotel and make sure she was trying to eat and drink.
“We felt so guilty all holiday that we were putting Lily through it.
“We felt helpless, we had never seen her like that before.
“We were constantly cleaning her hands and worrying.
“Nevertheless she got it anyway, so did her dad.”
A spokesman for Thomson said: “We were made aware of a small number of cases of the Hand, Foot and Mouth virus at the Family Life Mar de Menorca hotel. Our resort team were fully briefed to assist guests and proactively displayed information on how to spot and prevent the spread of the illness.
“We would like to reassure our customers that their health is our number one priority, and Thomson closely audit all resorts to which we operate to ensure that hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.”
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23