A BRITISH family’s holiday to Spain turned into a nightmare when their 11-month-old daughter was rushed to hospital with hand, foot and mouth disease.
Lily Connor and her father Lee Connor, 27, have undergone treatment in Menorca following an outbreak of the disease at the four-star Family Life Mar de Menorca resort.
The disease sees victims break out in sores and is passed on through direct contact with unwashed hands or surfaces contaminated with faeces.
The family, from Solihull in Birmingham, had flown to the island last month to enjoy their last possible break ahead of mother Emma’s due date.
Emma, 27, who was 11 weeks pregnant with their second child, said the staff ‘downplayed’ the outbreak after husband Lee expressed concerns about his baby and pregnant wife staying in the hotel.
Mum Emma said within two days of arriving on September 14, the hotel had put signs up warning of the outbreak, but made no efforts to move people to other hotels despite many becoming infected.
Baby Lily was so ill by the fourth day that doctors referred her to a hospital where she was treated for eight hours.
Mrs Connor said: “It was our last holiday before we have our new child.
“The first few days Lily was fine and then the second day we were there we were told Thomson put the notice up.
“My other half asked if it would be a problem because of me being pregnant and having a baby with us.
“They said it was fine.
“We expected them to move us elsewhere under the circumstances.
“By day four she was really not herself, she had a high temperature was falling asleep where ever she was and wouldn’t eat or drink, it was terrifying.
“We took her to the doctors on site and they sent her straight to the hospital.
“They thought it was because she fell over the day before but I knew it wasn’t, you can tell when your child really isn’t well.”
She added: “We were then in a room for eight hours, in the end I made the decision to discharge her.
“I decided that if we discharged her we could look after her in the hotel and make sure she was trying to eat and drink.
“We felt so guilty all holiday that we were putting Lily through it.
“We felt helpless, we had never seen her like that before.
“We were constantly cleaning her hands and worrying.
“Nevertheless she got it anyway, so did her dad.”
A spokesman for Thomson said: “We were made aware of a small number of cases of the Hand, Foot and Mouth virus at the Family Life Mar de Menorca hotel. Our resort team were fully briefed to assist guests and proactively displayed information on how to spot and prevent the spread of the illness.
“We would like to reassure our customers that their health is our number one priority, and Thomson closely audit all resorts to which we operate to ensure that hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.”
- Body of British expat dad pulled from submerged car in reservoir in Spain after he vanished three months ago - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 11:03
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37