LUCKY residents in a Costa del Sol town have scooped €125,000 each in the €2.3 billion El Gordo lottery.
A shop in Sabinillas sold the winning ticket, earning second largest prize in the world’s richest lottery, which is played by 75% of adult Spaniards every Christmas.
La Mar de Vinos owner Jose Antonio Madrona cracked open the champagne while waiting for the lottery winners to come in.
The winning number of 04536, was also drawn in Carrefour in Estepona and a shop in Fuengirola.
Madrona was told his shop had sold the winning ticket by his friend, Lola Lopez, who was checking the numbers as they were drawn live on TV by children from a Madrid school.
“It’s fantastic,” Madrona told the Olive Press.
“I was delighted.The area was hit badly by the floods recently so this is a great piece of news.
“I don’t know who has won yet, but it’s wonderful news.”
A number-one prize-winning ticket of 66513, worth €400,000 per person, was bought in Madrid.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00