A PAEDOPHILE who was captured in Malaga after being on the run for almost two years has been jailed.
Matthew Sammon, who was arrested following an Olive Press investigation, was jailed for two-and-a-half years at the Southwark Crown Court in London today.
The 46 year old, who used to live in Mitcham, south London, admitted to seven charges of downloading indecent images of children.
Sammon had amassed more than 34,000 images over two years.
Some 263 images and 246 movies, in category A, the worst level of offences, were uncovered by police.
They were discovered on his laptop and other devices following a raid on his home in April 2014.
Sentencing him to 30 months in prison, judge Deborah Taylor said: “There are a number of aggravating factors including previous convictions….a significant custodial sentence is merited.”
He is expected to serve just half the sentence after taking into account the time he has already served in custody.
It means he could be out in a little over a year.
Sammon was hiding on the Costa del Sol in a camper van and was working as an odd-job man and labourer.
He was rumbled by Olive Press reader Daniel Reid, who had once hired Sammon, and who helped this newspaper track him down to Fuengirola before we tipped off police.
He was extradited to the UK where he pleaded guilty to one count of possession of indecent images and six counts of making indecent images.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37