A PAEDOPHILE who was captured in Malaga after being on the run for almost two years has been jailed.
Matthew Sammon, who was arrested following an Olive Press investigation, was jailed for two-and-a-half years at the Southwark Crown Court in London today.
The 46 year old, who used to live in Mitcham, south London, admitted to seven charges of downloading indecent images of children.
Sammon had amassed more than 34,000 images over two years.
Some 263 images and 246 movies, in category A, the worst level of offences, were uncovered by police.
They were discovered on his laptop and other devices following a raid on his home in April 2014.
Sentencing him to 30 months in prison, judge Deborah Taylor said: “There are a number of aggravating factors including previous convictions….a significant custodial sentence is merited.”
He is expected to serve just half the sentence after taking into account the time he has already served in custody.
It means he could be out in a little over a year.
Sammon was hiding on the Costa del Sol in a camper van and was working as an odd-job man and labourer.
He was rumbled by Olive Press reader Daniel Reid, who had once hired Sammon, and who helped this newspaper track him down to Fuengirola before we tipped off police.
He was extradited to the UK where he pleaded guilty to one count of possession of indecent images and six counts of making indecent images.
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45