How a simple ocular test can uncover a host of underlying diseases
What can an eye test spot?
A SURPRISING amount can be revealed from an eye test, from the early stages of conditions which can permanently damage the vision such as glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration, to spotting warning signs of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke risk and symptoms associated with brain tumours.
New research from University College London’s Institute of Ophthalmology has shown that changes in the retina may reveal the presence of Parkinson’s Disease and allow early diagnosis before patients start to suffer from tremors. Early diagnosis gives more treatment options, so an eye test will become an important tool in fighting this debilitating disease, among many others.
How can ophthalmologists see these health conditions?
To be in with the best chance of spotting health issues early on, you need to have a thorough eye check-up which includes a range of tests using the latest technology. One great tool is Digital Retinal Photography which uses a camera to take a picture of the back of the eye – the only part of the human body where the microcirculation of blood can be observed directly. The state-of-the-art technique helps to identify changes that might be associated with certain eye conditions and health complaints. And the ability to save images creates a lasting record for ongoing monitoring. If necessary, the optician can refer patients directly for to their hospital or general practitioner for further medical examination .
Where can I get digital retinal photography included in my eye test?
This technology is expensive so its use is not widespread but Specsavers Opticas believe it is vital. We have Digital Retinal cameras at our Marbella and Fuengirola branches on the Costa del Sol, and include the technology as standard in all eye tests at no additional charge.
To find your nearest store and book your free eye test visit www.specsavers.es.
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36
- A simple eye test can uncover a host of underlying diseases - 8 Feb, 2017 @ 15:30