SPAIN-UK trade relations are only improving since last year’s Brexit referendum.
Despite the pound’s depreciation, Spanish exports to the UK reached a record high of €19 billion in 2016.
Meanwhile, a staggering one in four Brits came to Spain for their holidays, making them the largest contributor to the €77 billion the country made from its tourism industry.
While Santander’s UK business saw net profit fall by 14.7% due to the weaker pound, like most other multinationals, it has not signalled that it will decrease their investments into the country.
The UK is still the number two destination for Spanish foreign investment, with Spain multinationals holding a €60 billion stock of investments in the country.
Iberdrola chairman Ignacio Sánchez Galán has assured the company will continue to invest in Scottish Power and in the numerous projects underway in the UK.
Ana Botin, who headed up Santander’s business in the UK (23% of total group net profit) before taking over from her father, stated she remains ‘as committed as always’ to this market.
The same goes for Sabadell chairman Josep Oliu.
He repeated his colleagues message: “A risk in the short term, yes, but the trend will be positive in the medium and long-term.”
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52