LAST month there was a story in the press about a lady who had 27 contact lenses removed from her eye by surgeons.
This is a very unusual case, but has brought up some concerns about contact lenses, so here are our answers to some common questions to put your mind at rest.
Q: I have relied on glasses for years and want to try contact lenses, what do you recommend?
A: I would recommend soft contact lenses, as they are very pliable, therefore easy to get used to and comfortable to wear. They cannot be dislodged easily from the eye and they give excellent all-round vision.
Q: What different types are available?
A: There are a number of options to choose from;
• Daily disposable lenses, which you throw away every day and replace with a new pair.
• Monthly disposable lenses which last a month but need to be cleaned and stored in solution overnight
• All day-all night lenses which you can sleep in.
Q: How should I care for contact lenses to avoid infections?
A: Contact lenses bring great benefits and are easy to use. Following simple hygiene and care guidelines will keep your eyes healthy and mean that your vision remains clear and the lenses stay comfortable.
Your optician will explain how to look after your contacts when you first get them, but here are some simple rules to follow:
• Always wash, rinse and dry your hands thoroughly before removing your contact lenses
• Only use them for the recommended time
• Never rinse your contact lenses in tap water – you risk getting a severe eye infection
• Don’t transfer contact lens solution into smaller travel size bottles, as it may no longer be sterile
• Never wet your contact lenses with saliva – it’s not sterile and could cause an eye infection
• Never wear your contact lenses in the shower or when swimming (unless you use water-tight goggles)
At Specsavers Opticas, you can try before you buy, with one pair of monthly lenses or five pairs of daily disposable lenses free. For more information and to find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36
- A simple eye test can uncover a host of underlying diseases - 8 Feb, 2017 @ 15:30