THIS is the moment an arsonist launched a live hand grenade into an upmarket Marbella hotel.
CCTV footage, released today, shows the attacker removing the safety pin before tossing it into the air and fleeing the scene before the explosion.
Prior to the explosion the suspect can be seen wandering around the pool donning a bandana over his face and wearing a baseball cap.
He can be seen dousing the bar and sofas with an accelerant before setting light to the hotel, almost injuring himself.
The gangland style attack happened at the Sisu Boutique Hotel, between Marbella and San Pedro de Alcantara.
It is a popular haunt for celebs like the TOWIE cast and has hosted several international stars, including Tinie Tempah and Craig David.
The attack took place just before 11pm on March 2, but images were revealed today as CCTV footage showing the man responsible was made public for the first time.
He told a Spanish newspaper: “It was done so we couldn’t open in May.
“The insurance people won’t cover the damage until the police finish their investigation.
“If we hadn’t had money to repair the damage, we couldn’t have opened and everything would have been over.”
His partner Ale Valdivia, general manager at the hotel, added: “We were closed at the time and in bed.
“We heard an explosion and went downstairs. Everything was destroyed.”
Police are still probing the attack. No arrests are thought to have yet been made but detectives are giving out no information about their ongoing probe.
The celeb hotel is at the centre of an ongoing rental dispute which has gone to court and it has been outed by neighbours over its noisy parties.
Its website says: “Day or night every summer the pool at Sisu is probably the best place to be.”
A spokesman for Spain’s National Police said today: “Our investigation is ongoing and there is no information we can make public at this moment in time.”
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15