For some British holidaymakers abroad, it has meant receiving as little as 87 cents for one pound.
It comes after solid data out of the bloc laid bare the diverging performances of the UK and the European Union’s wider economy.
Travellers exchanging money at Southampton Airport’s Moneycorp branch today were getting just 87 cents for every pound – representing the worst rate since the financial crisis.
Since the Brexit referendum result last June, the pound has tumbled more than 15% against the euro.
Economists at UniCredit wrote in a note to clients this morning that the ‘upward trend’ in the euro’s value against the pound ‘is showing no signs of slowing down’.
Meanwhile, strategists at Morgan Stanley wrote in a note yesterday that the pound’s weakness ‘is no longer inspiring foreign buyers to come into the market’.
They said that buying the euro against the pound is the most sensible trade at the moment.
Last week strategists at the US bank said that the pound would be worth less than the euro on official exchanges by early next year.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22