JUST under 20% of Spain’s economy operates ‘in the shadows’.
In a new chart based on research by Germany’s Institute for Applied Economic Research (IAW), southern European countries dominate the list of selected industrialized countries with shadow economies.
Spain has the third largest shadow economy as a share of its total GDP, at 17.2%.
Greece has the highest at 21.5%, with Italy in second place at 19.8%.
The UK ranked 8th on 9.4%.
A shadow economy is the total value of transactions by businesses and individuals that occur ‘off the books’ – i.e. work done for cash to avoid paying tax into the system or follow regulations.
It ranges from paying a tradesman or a babysitter in undeclared cash to the illegal wildlife trade, counterfeiting and money laundering.
Untaxed and unrecorded economic activity boomed during the global financial crisis and continues to grow.
The global shadow economy is thought to be worth at least €550 billion.
While large shadow economies mean governments lose out on tax revenues, it has also been argued that attempting to curb them can limit economic growth and hamper innovation.
- What are the betting odds for Brexit - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 09:45
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47