FEWER than one in 10 temporary workers in Spain are ever offered permanent contracts.
The shocking figure makes Spain the worst out of 28 EU countries analysed in a study by Eurostat.
The UK sees 55.3% of its temporary workers find full-time work, the second highest conversion rate after Latvia on 56.8%.
They are followed by Romania and Austria on 51.9% and 47.6% respectively.
The figures also reveal that more than 25% of Spain’s workers are on temporary contracts.
And getting out of the trap of temporary work is becoming increasingly difficult.
A year before the crisis began, in 2006, the average duration of temporary contracts was 79.1 days.
Last year it dropped to 50.6, growing slightly in the first eight months of this year to 51.1 days.
Salaries for temporary employees continue to be far lower than those of permanent workers.
In 2015 the average yearly salary of a permanent employee was €24,562, compared to the average temporary worker’s €16,442.
This equates to a 33.1% difference, making temporary contracts far more attractive to employers.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25