PEDESTRIAN entrances to Malaga city centre have had road blocks installed in a bid to prevent terror attacks similar to those witnessed in Barcelona this year.
The large bollards make it impossible for a car or van to drive onto pedestrian areas, where thousands are expected to gather to witness the turning on of the city’s famous Christmas lights.
But security councillor Mario Cortés said the obstacles will remain fixed all year, not only during the Christmas season.
The objective is to increase the level of security in the streets of the historic center, taking into account the level 4 terrorist alert and recommendations from the Interior Ministry.
The white and red painted obstacles are concrete pivots more than one meter high.
There will also be an increased police presence while sixteen CCTV cameras are in full operation.
Police will have a fixed checkpoint in the Plaza de la Constitucion and will be supported by an increase in patrol cars.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33