The move has been spurred by US Donald Trump’s accusations that EU states don’t pay enough into NATO.
The other motivation is that it could diminish the union’s dependence on US military support.
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, called the pact ‘historic’ as ‘the real problem is not how much we spend, it is the fact we spend in a fragmented manner.’
The UK had always resisted the idea of joint EU defense, fearing some kind of big ‘European army,’ but the country’s planned exit from the bloc has removed that hurdle, allowing 23 other EU countries to move forward.
The UK could still be involved post-Brexit but it will come with a price tag.
The group will have a €5 billion European Defense Fund to buy weapons, a different fund for operations, and also get money from the EU budget for research.
The EU will have stronger, better synchronized national military forces to respond to crises together.
German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel called it a ‘milestone in European development.’
EU leaders will sign the legally binding agreement in December.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33