Just 24% of locals polled by Metroscopia said they would want to seek secession after the December 21 elections, while 71% said they would prefer politicians to reach an agreement that includes Catalunya remaining part of Spain.
But an outcome is difficult to predict given the survey’s margin of error at 2.4% and the fact support was evenly split between the two sides.
The telephone poll surveyed 1,800 Catalans between November 20 and November 22.
Losing the majority in the regional parliament would be a heavy blow for Catalan separatists who have billed the election as a vote on Madrid’s decision to impose direct rule in October.
Secessionist parties are forecast to win 46% of the vote, down slightly from 47.7% in a previous election in 2015.
Unionist parties combined would account for another 46% of votes, up from less than 40 percent last time.
Turnout for the election is predicted to reach a record 80%.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52