A HUGE Christmas bauble is coming to the Costa del Sol in a bid to boost Christmas sales figures.
Some 12 metres in diameter, the festive addition will feature in San Pedro de Alcantara on Marques del Duero street.
Containing around 70,000 LED lights, the ornament is designed to ‘compensate for the ugliness of the current works being carried out’, according to mayor Rafael Piña.
The aliminium ball, according to Piña, ‘will be the great attraction of Christmas in San Pedro and we hope it will help encourage shopping, commerce and local businesses.’
The ornament will have an audiovisual show to Miguel Ríos’ Anthem of Joy and Mariah Carey’s All I want for Christmas is you, at 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m respectively.
Two huge Christmas trees have been installed on two roundabouts while around 80 arches and 19 street lamps have been decorated, giving a total of 628,000 LED lights.
Lagasca street will also be closed to traffic on December 16, 22, 23 and 24 and January 3, 4 and 5 ‘to encourage Christmas shopping in the center’, explained Piña.
The Christmas programme will start on Thursday, November 30 at 7:00 pm and will run until January 5.
It will include parades, ‘zambombás’, children’s parties, a free concert on December 22 in García Lorca street and two ‘flashmobs’ on 12 and 13 December in Marqués del Duero street.
The Three Kings will arrive by helicopter and repeat the same tour as last year: Old Fairground, Pablo Ruiz Picasso Avenue, Lagasca Street, Luis Braille Avenue, Pepe Osorio Street, Oriental Avenue and Church Square.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27