A HUGE Christmas bauble is coming to the Costa del Sol in a bid to boost Christmas sales figures.
Some 12 metres in diameter, the festive addition will feature in San Pedro de Alcantara on Marques del Duero street.
Containing around 70,000 LED lights, the ornament is designed to ‘compensate for the ugliness of the current works being carried out’, according to mayor Rafael Piña.
The aliminium ball, according to Piña, ‘will be the great attraction of Christmas in San Pedro and we hope it will help encourage shopping, commerce and local businesses.’
The ornament will have an audiovisual show to Miguel Ríos’ Anthem of Joy and Mariah Carey’s All I want for Christmas is you, at 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m respectively.
Two huge Christmas trees have been installed on two roundabouts while around 80 arches and 19 street lamps have been decorated, giving a total of 628,000 LED lights.
Lagasca street will also be closed to traffic on December 16, 22, 23 and 24 and January 3, 4 and 5 ‘to encourage Christmas shopping in the center’, explained Piña.
The Christmas programme will start on Thursday, November 30 at 7:00 pm and will run until January 5.
It will include parades, ‘zambombás’, children’s parties, a free concert on December 22 in García Lorca street and two ‘flashmobs’ on 12 and 13 December in Marqués del Duero street.
The Three Kings will arrive by helicopter and repeat the same tour as last year: Old Fairground, Pablo Ruiz Picasso Avenue, Lagasca Street, Luis Braille Avenue, Pepe Osorio Street, Oriental Avenue and Church Square.
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29