ANDALUCIA has seen a 10% rise in foreign tourists in the first ten months of this year compared to the same period in 2016.
Some 10,451,449 extranjeros visited the holiday hotspot between January and October, according to the National Institute of Statistics (INE).
In October alone, a huge 1,122,329 international tourists visited the region, 2.6% more than last year.
Andalucia is now the fourth most popular destination, behind Catalunya, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands.
British tourists topped the list of visitors, accounting for 26.5% of the total.
On a national level, Spain received more than 73.4 million foreign tourists in the first 10 months of the year, an increase of 9.2%.
In October, 7.3 million international tourists visited the country, 1.8% more than in the same month of the previous year.
The number of Brits coming to Spain increased by 7.1% to more than 17 million Brits, almost one third of the whole population.
It was followed by Germany, which experienced a growth of 5.9%, to 10.8 million visitors, and France, with more than 10.1 million international tourists, representing an increase of 0.4%.
Catalonia was the autonomous community that received the most international tourists last October, with 1.5 million visitors, despite suffering a fall of 4.7% in the arrival of foreign tourists during the tenth month of the year, thanks to the referendum and ensuing political crisis.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27