GAMBLING will come to Palma bay when a new casino opens in the Playa de Palma before summer 2018, pending the agreement of final details between Hipotels and the Casino de Mallorca company.
There are three casinos in the Balearics – Porto Pi in Mallorca, Mahon in Menorca, and Ibiza Town – and under gaming laws established in 2014, each casino is allowed to open a second, but smaller branch. Regulations mean that the new Palma casino will be limited to 450 square metres – just 60 per cent of the size of the existing casino in Port Pi.
The casino will be within easy reach of Palma airport, between the two Hipotel-owned hotel complexes – Gran Playa de Palma and Playa de Palma Palace. The owners believe the location should guarantee a steady footfall of clients, even outside the tourist season. The search for the ideal location began at the end of summer after approval had been granted from Brussels and the Balearic government, following the establishment of new laws aimed at further developing the local gaming industry.
The Balearic Government’s director-general for trade and business, Pilar Sansó, has said online that the new casino branch will be “positive in terms of job creation and economic benefits”.
Gaming regulations, put together and approved by the Balearic Islands Gaming Commission, also insist on player protection measures; casinos must make the dangers of gambling addition clear to all clients.
Balearic laws prohibit a concentration of gambling and betting shops in one area – there must be a distance of at least 500 metres between gambling premises in Palma.
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48
- DON’T LEAF US THIS WAY: Brexit striking fear into hearts of ‘terrified’ farmers in Spain’s Andalucia - 9 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00