THE only child of Spain’s dictator General Franco has died from terminal cancer.
Carmen Franco, 91, was born in Oviedo in 1926, and is said to have had a lonely and secluded upbringing.
She was used as the face of fascist catholic youth in Spain by her father, and the Third Reich even profiled her in their propaganda bulletins.
Carmen married a neurosurgeon with aristocratic ties in 1950 and they both acted as Franco’s foreign ambassadors and bore him seven grandchildren.
Despite her father’s death in 1975 and Spain’s transition into democracy, her family was able to hold onto most of their assets and property.
She was awarded the title of Duchess of Franco with Spain’s Greatness by the newly reinstated monarch at the time, King Juan Carlos.
The title maintained her place in Spanish aristocracy.
She would go on to chair the National Francisco Franco Foundation (FNFF), which is dedicated to promoting the fascist dictator’s legacy.
She did this proudly until her death.
Francisco Franco is said to have been responsible for the deaths of 300,000 people during his reign.
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40
- 5 Ideas of Having Fun in Internet - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 09:23
- The Emergence And Growth of Bitcoin Casinos - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 20:02
- Messi start: Football ace’s restaurant finally gets green light after 12 month construction ban - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41