It comes after Andalucia’s Employment Service advertised 11,900 fruit-picking jobs in Huelva last month.
Only 840 people applied, despite the region having 850,000 people looking for work.
“We had the same problem last year when there wasn’t the workforce needed to collect all the fruit,” said Manuel Ceada, chief delegate of Huelva’s Economic Council.
“Some people might think it’s a contradiction that with the number of people out of work in the region, these job vacancies don’t get filled,” he added.
“The truth is that people who opt for agricultural jobs are the ones who haven’t been able to find any other kind of work.
“As soon as they get another job offer that meets their skillset, they quit.”
The region is having to bring in workers from Morocco and Romania to fill the positions.
It comes as Andalucia still has 851,742 people out of work and 96.89% of new contracts are for temporary work, making it odd that work would be turned down in such large volumes.
In 2015, the region had the highest unemployment rate in the EU at 34.8%.
It’s likely that workers see farm work as below them, given that a survey this month by Adecco revealed that only 2 in 10 people would turn down a job offer.
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20
- Endangered rhino, lion, hippo and tigers part of more than 200 species found at illegal taxidermist in Spain - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 11:26