It comes after Andalucia’s Employment Service advertised 11,900 fruit-picking jobs in Huelva last month.
Only 840 people applied, despite the region having 850,000 people looking for work.
“We had the same problem last year when there wasn’t the workforce needed to collect all the fruit,” said Manuel Ceada, chief delegate of Huelva’s Economic Council.
“Some people might think it’s a contradiction that with the number of people out of work in the region, these job vacancies don’t get filled,” he added.
“The truth is that people who opt for agricultural jobs are the ones who haven’t been able to find any other kind of work.
“As soon as they get another job offer that meets their skillset, they quit.”
The region is having to bring in workers from Morocco and Romania to fill the positions.
It comes as Andalucia still has 851,742 people out of work and 96.89% of new contracts are for temporary work, making it odd that work would be turned down in such large volumes.
In 2015, the region had the highest unemployment rate in the EU at 34.8%.
It’s likely that workers see farm work as below them, given that a survey this month by Adecco revealed that only 2 in 10 people would turn down a job offer.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29