A SEVILLA mayor has told residents he wants to see Romanians shot while trying to calm racial tensions in his town.
Antonio Nogales was instructing angry locals to ‘not take matters into their own hands’ following waves of violence against the Romanian population in Sierra Sur, Pedrera.
However the mayor has been blasted for using hate-filled and contradictory language when trying to calm down residents.
“I would like to see people shot too,” he repeated several times, “But we can not do that.”
The phrase see,med to endorse and legitimise the violence, rather than dissuade residents from taking part in it.
It comes during a period of heightened tensions between Romanians and Spanish locals.
Romanians have had their cars turned over and seven people have been arrested after serious assaults and fights.
PSOE Sevilla representative Veronica Perez has called for Nogales to resign, saying his remarks only encouraged more violence.
A video on Twitter plays a clip of Nogales’ words, which he says sound much worse ‘taken out of context’.
"A mí me gustaría ver a gente fusilada" declaraciones inaceptables de Antonio Nogales, alcalde de Pedrera y diputado provincial de IU. Ya está tardando en dimitir. Ni su pueblo ni su comarca merecen que los represente alguien con actitudes antidemocráticas. pic.twitter.com/HKmUVqG2Bn
— Verónica Pérez (@nicadichiara) January 10, 2018
He criticised Perez for ‘taking advantage of a cut of a recording in an assembly in front of an angry crowd.”
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52