A SEVILLA mayor has told residents he wants to see Romanians shot while trying to calm racial tensions in his town.
Antonio Nogales was instructing angry locals to ‘not take matters into their own hands’ following waves of violence against the Romanian population in Sierra Sur, Pedrera.
However the mayor has been blasted for using hate-filled and contradictory language when trying to calm down residents.
“I would like to see people shot too,” he repeated several times, “But we can not do that.”
The phrase see,med to endorse and legitimise the violence, rather than dissuade residents from taking part in it.
It comes during a period of heightened tensions between Romanians and Spanish locals.
Romanians have had their cars turned over and seven people have been arrested after serious assaults and fights.
PSOE Sevilla representative Veronica Perez has called for Nogales to resign, saying his remarks only encouraged more violence.
A video on Twitter plays a clip of Nogales’ words, which he says sound much worse ‘taken out of context’.
"A mí me gustaría ver a gente fusilada" declaraciones inaceptables de Antonio Nogales, alcalde de Pedrera y diputado provincial de IU. Ya está tardando en dimitir. Ni su pueblo ni su comarca merecen que los represente alguien con actitudes antidemocráticas. pic.twitter.com/HKmUVqG2Bn
— Verónica Pérez (@nicadichiara) January 10, 2018
He criticised Perez for ‘taking advantage of a cut of a recording in an assembly in front of an angry crowd.”
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29