RYANAIR has said there may be strikes this Easter thanks to ‘laughable demands’ from its pilots in Europe who want conditions similar to high-cost rivals.
While the low-cost airline managed to dodge Christmas strikes by recognising unions in December for the first time ever, it has struggled to formalise relations since.
Irish boss Michael O’Leary said the Dublin-based carrier was preparing to take on what it sees as unreasonable demands from other pilot unions on the continent.
Referring to the pay and working conditions typical of the higher cost carriers that Ryanair has undermined in recent decades with its ultra-low-cost model, O’Leary said: “We have some jurisdictions where we are getting … laughable demands.”
He added: “Frankly we will never agree to those … if we have to take strikes or disruptions in those jurisdictions, then we will take those.”
But pilots say they only want the same conditions to those at low-cost rivals such as easyJet and Norwegian Air.
Meanwhile others at Ryanair have complained of a toxic working environment and a lack of trust between staff and management.
Pilots are set to refuse a unilateral offer of a pay rise unless they get assurances it won’t impact future talks on pay and conditions.
In January the airline, whose owner is staunchly anti-Brexit, announced that it would put a ‘Brexit clause’ into its ticket sales for summer 2019, warning customers that their tickets will not be valid if there has been no aviation agreement between Britain and the EU.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35