GENERAL Franco’s eldest grandson has been sentenced to 30 months jail for deliberately crashing into a police car.
Francisco Franco Martinez-Bordiu, 63, was sentenced to 18 months for aggravated assault and 12 months for dangerous driving by a court in Teruel yesterday.
The eldest grandson of Spain’s last dictator has also been ordered to pay €1,500 in damages to one of the police officers who was injured and a further €2,720 to the Guardia Civil for their damaged vehicle.
Police say the Martinez-Bordiu was driving near Calamocha on the night of April 30 2012 without any lights on.
When they attempted to pull him over he sped off and drove through several stop signs before crashing into a patrol car, running it off the road.
Martínez-Bordiú had denied being in the vehicle when he appeared in court in 2014.
His lawyer told reporters he had loaned his car to a former Romanian employee who ‘probably’ no longer lived in Spain.
It comes after his younger brother Jaime Martínez-Bordiú was given a one-year suspended sentence in 2009 for beating up his girlfriend at a hotel on the Costa del Sol.
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45