A WHOPPING 85% of Spanish voters want Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to hand over his leadership to someone else.
A poll by Metroscopia also found 62% of people who voted for him think ‘his time is over’.
The 62-year-old has been in politics for nearly forty years and is the most veteran of Spain’s political leaders.
He is the only one who is still the head of his party after all other groups – including the monarchy – have renewed their leadership.
The drop in support comes after the December 2015 election yielded a hung parliament and before another vote in June 2016 saw the PP narrowly form a minority government.
The economic crisis, several corruption cases and the Catalunya crisis have all played a part in eroding his popularity.
While the next general election is not until 2020, a recent opinion poll showed Ciudadanos would win if an election was held today, with 28.3% support from Spanish voters, compared with 21.9% for Rajoy’s PP.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18