A WHOPPING 85% of Spanish voters want Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to hand over his leadership to someone else.
A poll by Metroscopia also found 62% of people who voted for him think ‘his time is over’.
The 62-year-old has been in politics for nearly forty years and is the most veteran of Spain’s political leaders.
He is the only one who is still the head of his party after all other groups – including the monarchy – have renewed their leadership.
The drop in support comes after the December 2015 election yielded a hung parliament and before another vote in June 2016 saw the PP narrowly form a minority government.
The economic crisis, several corruption cases and the Catalunya crisis have all played a part in eroding his popularity.
While the next general election is not until 2020, a recent opinion poll showed Ciudadanos would win if an election was held today, with 28.3% support from Spanish voters, compared with 21.9% for Rajoy’s PP.
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56