THE former head of the Catalan police will stand trial for his role in Catalunya’s independence referendum, the Spanish High Court has ruled.
Josep Lluis Trapero, who was dismissed from his job in October, will face two charges of sedition and an additional charge of criminal organisation.
He is accused of the ‘illegally using’ the Mossos d’Esquadra to execute a ‘perfectly coordinated premeditated strategy’ for independence, according to the court.
Trapero is allegedly part of a ‘complex and heterogeneous organisation united around the aim of achieving the secession of the Autonomous Community of Catalonia and its proclamation as an independent Republic.’
Trapero joined the Mossos in 1990 was was only promoted to the rank of Major earlier in 2017 after 26 years of service.
The court announced that several other leading Mossos figures will also face trial.
Peter Soler, the former director of the Mossos and Cesar Puig, the former secretary general of the regional interior ministry will both also face one charge of sedition and one of criminal organisation.
Teresa Laplana, a lower ranking Mossos officer, will also be tried on one count of sedition.
She allegedly did nothing to aid Guardia Civil officers who were trapped inside Catalunya’s economic ministry after pro-independence protesters blockaded them in back in September.
- Activists propose daily tax for Balearic cruise ship passengers - 26 May, 2018 @ 21:02
- Branson embraces Balearic life while Necker Island is rebuilt - 26 May, 2018 @ 18:44
- Chinese film industry eyes up purchase of Spanish locations - 26 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- Podemos leader faces confidence vote after ‘luxury’ home purchase - 26 May, 2018 @ 12:13
- Stunning Kensington pine walk property goes on the market in Pollensa - 25 May, 2018 @ 17:13
- Magaluf hit-and-run Brit is younger sister of expat drug lord - 25 May, 2018 @ 13:13
- Balearic president to meet with airlines to safeguard resident discounts - 25 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- Airport group goes public with concerns over transporting drunk passengers - 24 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- British tourists warned over balcony antics in new safety video - 24 May, 2018 @ 14:37
- British bar managed arrested over the death of Northern Irish tourist in Magaluf - 24 May, 2018 @ 12:33