MORE than two dozen multinational and medium-sized companies have signed a declaration calling for Spain to transition to green energy.
Eleven out of the 30 companies are listed on Spain’s Ibex35 stock exchange – Abertis, Acciona, Bankia, BBVA, Endesa, Ferrovial, Iberdrola, Mapfre, Red Eléctrica de España, Siemens Gamesa and Telefónica.
IKEA, hotel chain NH and Eulen have also signed the manifesto, which urges the country’s ‘public powers’ to reach an agreement on the ‘approval of a climate change law and a stable, ambitious and efficient transition to green energy.’
It comes three years after Mariano Rajoy vowed to deliver a new climate change law in the 2015 Paris Climate Change Agreement.
The Spanish congress should be debating the law, but it has been delayed by a months-long commission which has failed to reach a consensus.
The climate change law has been met with obstacles, with energy minister Alvaro Nadal arguing Spain should wait until the EU develops its legislative package on the fight against climate change before making its own.
Environment minister Isabel García Tejerina has said a draft of the law would be ready soon.
Electricity and transport sectors contribute 80% of all greenhouse gases produced by Spain, meaning they would be most affected by climate change laws.
The manifesto reads: “Most surrounding countries are already evolving toward a low-carbon economy, triggering a global revolution that is going to create enormous opportunities,” the manifesto argues.
“Spain is well positioned to take advantage of these but effective policies are needed now.”
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18