A Spanish government committee currently exploring its possibility has said it is still viable despite construction challenges.
The submarine tunnel would be the first land link between Africa and Europe, measuring 38km in length.
Rafael Garcia-Monge Fernandez, president of the Spanish Society of Studies for Fixed Communication through the Strait of Gibraltar SA (SECEGSA), told a press conference in Algeciras that the project is back on.
The tunnel would be 475 metres below sea level.
Previous studies questioned the feasibility of the project, but Herrenknecht, the largest tunnel construction company in the world, carried out a new assessment with the University of Zurich, which concluded that the tunnel is possible.
A tailor-made prototype of a tunnel borer will be the next step, costing €32 million.
Spain and Morocco both want the tunnel, but costing an estimated €8 billion, the EU will have to provide serious funding.
High speed trains in the tunnel would make cargo journeys between Madrid and Marrakech up to three times shorter.
The tunnel could also be used to carry solar energy from the Sahara to Europe.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19