A PUNK singer has been arrested in Andalucia for ‘anti-establishment’ lyrics.
Evaristo Paramos was detained by Guardia Civil on Sunday after finishing a concert with his band Gatillazo in Jerez.
He was arrested for his ‘highly political’ and anti-establishment lyrics, but was later let go.
“After more than 30 years singing the same things, he’s now detained for it in 2018,” said actor and activist Willy Toledo.
“The Spanish fascism feels strong and validated and is showing itself openly without hesitating…
“The brutality and force shown are a clear symptom of panic in the face of its extreme weakness.”
Other politicians and parties also expressed their solidarity with Paramos, including the Basque Euskal Herria Bildu party.
It wrote on Twitter: “There’s no freedom of speech in the Spanish State. We stand in solidarity with Evaristo, who has been detained and accused, and with all artists that are under threat for criticizing the system with their songs, books and other artistic expressions #FreedomOfSpeech.”
Police have been arresting and sentencing artists for their political views, including charges for disrespecting the royal family, or even ‘praising terrorism’, for showing any kind of support for the now dissolved ETA or its political prisoners.
It comes after Pablo Hasel and Valtonyc fled Spain to avoid their five, and three and a half years sentences respectively, which they received over their lyrics, accused of praising terrorism and inciting violence.
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27