THERE will be a lot more cockroaches in Spain this summer, a health body has warned.
The National Association of Environmental Health Companies (ANECPLA) said in a statement that there was a ‘very high’ risk of a steep rise in the bug in the coming months.
It blamed the predicted proliferation on a combination of heavy rains throughout the spring and the steep increase in temperatures forecast in the summer.
The heat and humidity cause the insects to ‘leave their natural habitat’ to find ‘new shelters with water, food and an optimum temperature’.
That means they’ll be invading – or at least attempting to invade – homes and restaurants.
The vile bugs can contaminate food and bring the risk of infections like dysentery or salmonella poisoning.
ANECPLA said cockroaches are more nocturnal but are often seen during the day ‘when the population is very high or they need food’.
As a preventative measure, the health body recommends hiding any sources of water or food that could attract cockroaches.
Homes or establishments should also have good ventilation and cover up cracks in the wall or floors.
If they are detected, it is best to call a professional pest control company.
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37