THERE will be a lot more cockroaches in Spain this summer, a health body has warned.
The National Association of Environmental Health Companies (ANECPLA) said in a statement that there was a ‘very high’ risk of a steep rise in the bug in the coming months.
It blamed the predicted proliferation on a combination of heavy rains throughout the spring and the steep increase in temperatures forecast in the summer.
The heat and humidity cause the insects to ‘leave their natural habitat’ to find ‘new shelters with water, food and an optimum temperature’.
That means they’ll be invading – or at least attempting to invade – homes and restaurants.
The vile bugs can contaminate food and bring the risk of infections like dysentery or salmonella poisoning.
ANECPLA said cockroaches are more nocturnal but are often seen during the day ‘when the population is very high or they need food’.
As a preventative measure, the health body recommends hiding any sources of water or food that could attract cockroaches.
Homes or establishments should also have good ventilation and cover up cracks in the wall or floors.
If they are detected, it is best to call a professional pest control company.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29