PODEMOS has renewed calls for the legalisation of cannabis now that the PSOE is in government.
The party’s leader, Pablo Iglesias, said legalising the drug would lead to a much bigger budget for healthcare.
He said: “We wouldn’t have to spend money on security arrangements against illegal trafficking, which generates crime and exploitation.”
According to the blueprint for regulation, Spain could raise €177 million per year through cannabis taxes, plus a further €1.2 billion on indirect taxes.
The proposed measures have been largely welcomed by parties on both sides of the political spectrum, except for the PP.
The battle to regulate cannabis began in 2017 when Podemos put forward a non-legislative motion.
Last month, Podemos, the PSOE and Ciudadanos jointly put forward another motion calling for personal amounts of the drug to be legal.
Other countries have already benefit of the legalisation of cannabis. The Netherlands’ capital, Amsterdam, collected €400 million in indirect taxes in 2017.
- Spain’s top oncology scientist cures pancreatic cancer in mice giving hope for future human treatment - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14
- TREASURE HUNT: How foreigners helped Spain curate its top 10 most priceless artefacts - 3 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- After Lavapies was crowned Spain’s coolest neighbourhood here are the top 10 other hip hoods worth a visit - 29 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- 9 Spanish Christmas traditions you don’t want to miss this year - 25 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain is least ‘culturally arrogant’ country in Europe but here are 10 reasons why you SHOULD say ‘Viva España!’ - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 18:00
- 10 things you may not know about Spain’s Michelin star chef Dani Garcia - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- More than 50% in Spain fear climate change is ‘threatening’ survival of human race - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 12:15
- Susana Diaz denies illegal funding of PSOE and refuses to apologise in fiery argument with PP - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:45
- Police officer ‘almost left blind’ receives 20 stitches after being smashed in face on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:01
- Swedish member of Somali terror cell ‘Death Troops’ arrested in Spain’s Malaga - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 15:34