According to the Observatorio Proyecto Hombre report, the number of cocaine addicts entering rehab (34.3%) now exceeds the number of alcoholics soliciting treatment (31%) for the first time in the organisation’s history.
Only five years ago, alcoholics represented 41% of rehab patients.
Multiple reasons explain the rise of cocaine addiction, including the increase in production of the white powder throughout Europe, the end of the financial crisis and the normalisation of its consumption in daily life.
The study also smashes the long-held theory that cocaine is a high class drug. “Cocaine is consumed by all social classes. People who go into rehab could be a member of your own family or the next-door neighbour”, said Felix Rueda of Proyecto Hombre.
According to the latest profile studies, most cocaine users are men in their mid-30s with stable family backgrounds, a basic education and a job. They work in fields like the food and beverage industry, surveillance, special care and jobs which demand long hours and a high level of concentration.
Contrary to other drugs like alcohol or heroin, cocaine addiction is not accompanied by instability in personal life, which reinforces the idea of its use as a party drug, rather than a way out. This could explain why almost half of addicts are under the age of 30.
The ‘normal’ appearance of users makes it more difficult to detect their addiction and help them.
- TREASURE HUNT: How foreigners helped Spain curate its top 10 most priceless artefacts - 3 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- After Lavapies was crowned Spain’s coolest neighbourhood here are the top 10 other hip hoods worth a visit - 29 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- 9 Spanish Christmas traditions you don’t want to miss this year - 25 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain is least ‘culturally arrogant’ country in Europe but here are 10 reasons why you SHOULD say ‘Viva España!’ - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 18:00
- 10 things you may not know about Spain’s Michelin star chef Dani Garcia - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- More than 50% in Spain fear climate change is ‘threatening’ survival of human race - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 12:15
- Susana Diaz denies illegal funding of PSOE and refuses to apologise in fiery argument with PP - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:45
- Police officer ‘almost left blind’ receives 20 stitches after being smashed in face on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:01
- Swedish member of Somali terror cell ‘Death Troops’ arrested in Spain’s Malaga - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 15:34
- Melanoma on the march in Spain says top dermatologist, as half of 65-year-olds suffer cancer - 4 Nov, 2018 @ 13:40