EXPATS are warning of a brazen robbery ring on the Costa del Sol after a string of break-ins.
At least six robberies have taken place within the last month at apartment complexes in Riviera, Calahonda, including Mijar Golf House, Mirador de Miraflores and Millenial, frightened expats have told the Olive Press.
Debbie Charville, who lives at Mijar Golf House, came terrifyingly close to her robber two weeks ago, while babysitting her three-year-old grandson.
“I heard a noise and found two men stood outside the kitchen doors, dressed in black with a balaclavas.
“I ran and smacked the glass and they both legged it. I was lucky,” she recalled.
The expat said she has ‘never been so terrified’ in her life.
“I’m living like a prisoner in my own home. I couldn’t work, I couldn’t sleep,” said the Middlesbrough-born housekeeper.
She attempted to call the police while in shock but couldn’t report it as a crime.
Gaynor Lofthouse, 52, who lives at Mirador de Miraflores with her 15-year-old son and husband, was also robbed two weeks ago, after leaving her balcony door open at night.
She woke the next day to find thieves had swiped €85 in cash, a Rolex watch, and ‘sentimental’ 50th birthday gifts including a designer Bulgari bracelet and two Pandora bracelets.
“I found my handbag on the balcony and thought ‘that’s weird’ then I realised my jewellery was gone. It was horrific,” added the Liverpudlian-born cook.
The expat hasn’t reported it for fears police would think it was her fault for leaving the balcony door open.
“It shook me up. I didn’t sleep at all the next couple of nights,” she added.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03