An astonishing SIX TONNES of the drug were found by plain-clothed agents hidden among bananas at the Santa Teresa Industrial estate this morning.
The haul, believed to be the second-biggest in Europe’s history, had a street value of €360 million.
The find came following a joint investigation between the Udyco organised crime unit, the Special Response Group against Organized Crime (Greco) of the Policia Nacional, and the Central Operative Unit (UCO) of the Guardia Civil.
As soon as the record stash was found, scores of camouflaged police cars and swat vans stormed the scene and cut off all areas.
The cocaine was hidden in a shipment of bananas from Colombia and were found in an old warehouse unit which had been divided into two halves.
One room was used by a man as a warehouse, while the other, after several years of inactivity, had been rented out just a week ago.
The second half, belonging to the suspects, held a refrigerated truck, vans and a Chrysler Voyager minivan.
Three people from an import company have been arrested while another two were cuffed in France.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33