A BRITISH family have been convicted for filing a fake food poisoning claim for their holiday in southern Spain.
Four members of the same family were sentenced to three months in prison by Liverpool High Court.
They were also fined €842 each for ‘concocting a fake claim for gastric illness to win compensation’ and will have to pay the travel operator’s legal costs.
The family had claimed they fell ill from food poisoning while staying at Benidorm’s all-inclusive Aqua Magic Rock Gardens in July 2015.
The claim was filed against the travel operator Jet2 Holidays, from whom they demanded around €50,000 in damages.
“For some time we have warned that making false claims could lead to serious consequences, and this ruling shows how serious they can be,” said Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays in a statement.
Michael Jameson, Claire Weir, Janet Weir and Jane Weir alleged that the hotel food had given them nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps.
But all four boasted they were having ‘the best holiday ever’ and ‘enjoying every minute’ on social media.
Hotel records also showed them enjoying alcoholic beverages, including beer, gin and vodka, even as they were supposed to be suffering from gastric illnesses.
“We always held that it was a false claim because our food meets all safety standards,”said Pilar Lafuente, an official with the hotel chain Magic Costa Blanca, which operates the Benidorm hotel.
Lafuente said that the family was only thinking about ‘the possibility of getting a free vacation and some extra money, a technique that the British courts are already acting against.’
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06