BRITISH Hollywood star James McAvoy has warned holidaymakers after nearly falling for an €11,000 hotel scam in Spain.
The Glaswegian X-Men actor was almost duped out of a whopping £10,000 when booking a family holiday at The Ritz Carlton Abama Hotel in Tenerife.
In a video shared on social media app, Instagram, the 39-year-old warns off tourists from making the same mistake.
“Just avoided being scammed through a cyber scheme. They are The Ritz Abama Tenerife. Don’t use them, they nearly took 10 grand off me which is a tonne of money,” McAvoy says in the video.
The Atonement actor jokes that the website was so convincing it looked even better than the real Ritz Carlton’s site, as he scrolls through a luxury ‘5-star’ hotel web page with a blue serene cloud background.
He goes on to explain how he had exchanged a number of emails with a man named ‘Joaquin’ who asked the star for the payment via bank transfer.
“I just thought the deal seemed too good to be true,” he added, “I doubled checked it through a travel agent and it was a tenth of the price it should be.
“Stay away. If you’ve been scammed by them, hit me up.”
The father-of-one has captioned the post with comical hashtags, ‘Anne Robinson we need you’ and ‘Watchdog BBC material’.
He has since alerted the real Ritz Carlton to the scam.
McAvoy first rose to fame with his supporting role of faun Mr Tumnus in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, followed by an award-winning role in The Last King of Scotland.
The actor’s latest movie, Glass – the sequel to the harrowing Split – is set to be released January 18, starring Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson and Sarah Poulson.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03