YESTERDAY 17 migrants were killed in shipwrecks as they travelled from North Africa to Spain on wooden rafts.
One of the African migrants’ makeshift boats hit a reef near the Strait of Gibraltar and the other was located off the coast near Cadiz, the Spanish coast guard confirmed.
Authorities found two rafts and rescued over 100 other migrants within the space of 24 hours.
All victims are male, 13 of whom were killed near the Strait of Gibraltar, while the other four died near Cadiz.
The total death toll of migrants travelling to Spain now reaches 566, a UN Migration Agency report confirmed today, while the number of arrivals to Spain now stands at 49,013.
Spain is ‘the region’s most active destination point this year, with just under 50% of all 2018 arrivals,’ according to the migration watchdog’s publication.
So far this year, Europe has seen 100,630 migrant arrivals by sea, making 2018, the 5th straight year migrant and refugee landings have exceeded the 100,000 mark.
In total 1,989 migrants have died in 2018, as they attempt to make the crossing into mainland Europe.
- Man arrested after squatting Costa del Sol home where British expat allegedly stabbed wife to death and tried to kill himself - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 15:13
- Costa del Sol locals call for safety changes on motorway after lorry horror smash sees driver rushed to hospital - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 12:57
- Family of vanished British man in Spain draft in Maddie McCann’s parents’ PR guru to help - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 10:59
- Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo will ‘celebrate’ if Brexit cancelled - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Police investigation as British woman in Spain smashed in head by lorry doors and airlifted to hospital - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:59
- British expats in Spain among 100 homeowners to face compulsory purchases of land due to huge pylon network - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:04
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14