YESTERDAY 17 migrants were killed in shipwrecks as they travelled from North Africa to Spain on wooden rafts.
One of the African migrants’ makeshift boats hit a reef near the Strait of Gibraltar and the other was located off the coast near Cadiz, the Spanish coast guard confirmed.
Authorities found two rafts and rescued over 100 other migrants within the space of 24 hours.
All victims are male, 13 of whom were killed near the Strait of Gibraltar, while the other four died near Cadiz.
The total death toll of migrants travelling to Spain now reaches 566, a UN Migration Agency report confirmed today, while the number of arrivals to Spain now stands at 49,013.
Spain is ‘the region’s most active destination point this year, with just under 50% of all 2018 arrivals,’ according to the migration watchdog’s publication.
So far this year, Europe has seen 100,630 migrant arrivals by sea, making 2018, the 5th straight year migrant and refugee landings have exceeded the 100,000 mark.
In total 1,989 migrants have died in 2018, as they attempt to make the crossing into mainland Europe.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08