YESTERDAY 17 migrants were killed in shipwrecks as they travelled from North Africa to Spain on wooden rafts.
One of the African migrants’ makeshift boats hit a reef near the Strait of Gibraltar and the other was located off the coast near Cadiz, the Spanish coast guard confirmed.
Authorities found two rafts and rescued over 100 other migrants within the space of 24 hours.
All victims are male, 13 of whom were killed near the Strait of Gibraltar, while the other four died near Cadiz.
The total death toll of migrants travelling to Spain now reaches 566, a UN Migration Agency report confirmed today, while the number of arrivals to Spain now stands at 49,013.
Spain is ‘the region’s most active destination point this year, with just under 50% of all 2018 arrivals,’ according to the migration watchdog’s publication.
So far this year, Europe has seen 100,630 migrant arrivals by sea, making 2018, the 5th straight year migrant and refugee landings have exceeded the 100,000 mark.
In total 1,989 migrants have died in 2018, as they attempt to make the crossing into mainland Europe.
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42