MORE than half of all Spaniards believe climate change will threaten their health, the economy and the survival of the human species, a YouGov study has revealed.
Health is their main concern, with 64% fearing that lives could be put in jeopardy by the appearance of new and more deadly diseases and a rise in extreme weather events.
And over half – 52% – thinks that climate change will cause new world conflicts for natural resources like water and ultimately, endanger the future for mankind.
But Spanish pessimism runs deeper than that, with 51% believing climate change will have huge impact on their pockets as it pushes up the price of energy, food and insurance – and those earning the least feared it most.
Those earning less than €12,000 per year (44%) said that measures to combat climate change would weaken the economy, whereas only 35% of people on double that salary shared the same opinion.
But, the survey showed, climate change has become a reality accepted by everyone, since 0% of the respondents believed it was a myth.
- TREASURE HUNT: How foreigners helped Spain curate its top 10 most priceless artefacts - 3 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- After Lavapies was crowned Spain’s coolest neighbourhood here are the top 10 other hip hoods worth a visit - 29 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- 9 Spanish Christmas traditions you don’t want to miss this year - 25 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain is least ‘culturally arrogant’ country in Europe but here are 10 reasons why you SHOULD say ‘Viva España!’ - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 18:00
- 10 things you may not know about Spain’s Michelin star chef Dani Garcia - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- More than 50% in Spain fear climate change is ‘threatening’ survival of human race - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 12:15
- Susana Diaz denies illegal funding of PSOE and refuses to apologise in fiery argument with PP - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:45
- Police officer ‘almost left blind’ receives 20 stitches after being smashed in face on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:01
- Swedish member of Somali terror cell ‘Death Troops’ arrested in Spain’s Malaga - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 15:34
- Melanoma on the march in Spain says top dermatologist, as half of 65-year-olds suffer cancer - 4 Nov, 2018 @ 13:40